Out of respect for the grieving process families in Connecticut are going through we have remained quiet on the gun control debate. This debate started with the statists howling about reinstating an assault weapons ban before these poor souls remains were even cold. We considered this a cowardly and despicable act. To leverage such a tragedy for political gain was tasteless and immoral which is ironic since the statists claim a ban would be moral. Now that congress has introduced a new assault weapons ban we believe that we must now speak on this issue.
We will first say that an assault weapons ban, the gun free areas, and disarmament of the American people are all against our principles. There has been an extreme amount of disinformation which seems somewhat intentional. Here are some key facts about this tragedy in Connecticut that seem to be largely ignored.
- This evil person had to shoot his way through the security entryway glass to gain admittance to the school.
- Connecticut has a current assault weapons ban and many firearm laws on their books that make purchasing, owning, and carrying any kind of gun fairly difficult.
- An evil person will perpetrate his damage upon the least likely to resist.
- Media sensationalism is assuring us of another similar tragedy through their nearly constant sensationalism of this tragedy.
- Magazine size has no bearing upon whether an evil person has the capacity and capability to kill scores of innocent people.
- There is dispute in the media as to whether or not the rifle was left in the trunk or even at the scene of the crime.
- This tragedy is a prime example of how an assault weapons ban was completely useless.
With this latest tragedy and others like it we have a common thread. These mass shootings are happening intentionally within Gun Free Areas. There is simply no valid rationalization why we should continue to support or enforce these criminal empowerment zones. If anything, we should be asking ourselves why in areas so sensitive that more people are not armed. We suggest we perform a complete reversal of attitude and create Armament Encouragement Zones where all individuals legally allowed to possess a firearm are encouraged to do so openly at all times within this designated area.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The greater the risk is to ones self in order to commit a crime the less likely that crime will become. We have seen this play out multiple times throughout our nations history. As gun control laws have relaxed we have decreased crime, we have less aggravated crime, and we have fewer murders. When we enter cities and other areas that make it more difficult for the innocent to defend themselves we can quickly find demographics that demonstrate an increase in crime, aggravated crime, and murders.
People are and need to be responsible for their own safety and welfare and not dependent upon the state for the common defense of their being. Any historian can quickly point out events in time where a people became dependent upon the state for their safety and the situation went horribly wrong with mass murders at a war crime level or above. To leave citizens defenseless in areas is to elevate the worth of a criminals life above that of an innocent and continuing this logical fallacy will only beget additional tragedy.